The economic hub of the San Joaquin Valley, the Fresno metropolitan area is home to more than one million people. Its leading employers encompass a variety of industries and predominant among them are agriculture, manufacturing and health care.
Here’s a snapshot:
Talking Turkey – And Then Some
One of Fresno’s employment success stories is Foster Farms, whose core business since 1939 has been raising and distributing poultry products. Foster has been family owned and operated since its inception and through the years, has made a number of acquisitions in California, the Pacific Northwest and beyond. The company awards college scholarships annually and this year became the first major poultry producer in the West to complete rigorous certification by the American Humane Association.
Other agricultural industry employers in the region include:
- Save Mart (retail growers)
- Valhalla Select Marketing (fruits and vegetables)
- Sun-Maid Growers (raisins and dried fruits)
At its Clovis campus, Pelco by Schneider Electric develops and manufactures video security and surveillance systems. Founded in 1957 as Pelco, the company joined forces with global energy and security specialist Schneider Electric in 2007. As part of its comprehensive benefits package, Pelco stresses wellness with an employee fitness room, bike parking and its own intramural sports program. Through the Schneider Electric Community Partnership, the company encourages volunteering for organizations including Toys for Tots and the International Red Cross. Its Go Green Program supports environmental initiatives through innovative measures such as the installation of solar panels in low-income housing.
Additional Fresno manufacturing employers include:
- Quinn Manufacturing Group Holdco Ltd. (building products, chemicals, glass, packaging, plastics and radiators)
- Guardian Industries (glass)
- Anlin Industries (vinyl windows and doors)
- Grundfos Pumps & Manufacturing (water pumps)
The Healthcare Employment Arena
The Fresno-based Community Health Care Network encompasses three hospitals, as well as a spectrum of long-term care and outpatient facilities.
- The Community Regional Medical Center is home to the network’s physician residency program in conjunction with the University of California, San Francisco. Among its clinical strengths are the region’s first Lung Nodule program to expedite lung cancer care, the Central California Neuroscience Institute, and one of the state’s largest birthing centers.
- The Clovis Community Medical Center is nearing completion of a $300 million expansion to become the first area facility with all private rooms. A family-oriented suburban hospital, Clovis Community sits at the base of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Its specialty services include women’s care and minimally invasive surgery. For the past two years, the hospital has been ranked best in the state of California for low turnover, with more than 200 employees with tenures of 20 years or more.
- The Fresno Heart and Surgical Hospital is a small, specialized facility with luxury accommodations for patients and families. It boasts a five-star cardiac, vascular and bariatric surgery program. In 2011, its cardiovascular intensive care nurses won a Beacon Award for Excellence from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses, one of only 15 bestowed nationwide.
The Kaiser Fresno Medical Center and St. Agnes Medical Center are among other healthcare employers in the region.
Partnering with the right staffing firm can help you grow your career in the Fresno area and beyond. To learn more as you develop your career path, read our related posts or contact a recruiter at PrideStaff Fresno today. Let us put our knowledge and expertise to work for you today!